Thursday, December 11, 2008

A new take on life



So, I've been off the computer for an entire week today. Omel and I have been reevaluating every aspect of our lives in the past few months and we finally got to the discussion on technology. I decided to take a break, taking the last week off I realized how much our lives are intertwined with the computer. We listen to our music on it, we budget on it, we blog, facebook, Omel and I even do the web cam when he is at work. I hate what it has become in our family. If the boys have a question we say "lets google it" it's on all day long like a giant eye, controlling our lives and watching our every move. We both (we is the operative word) have decided that we are sending our boys the wrong message about life and values and what we want to have our home and lives be, interactive learning and personal, hands on experience. I've had a wonderful week with the laptop up in a closet away from my thoughts and out of view from our boys. This isn't to say that technology isn't good or that computers are bad, we just realized how our family had really gone overboard with them and its time to tap back into reality. As I type Ethan and I have our twenty minute aloted time for the week. So I better make it good!

This morning I found Asher in the windowsill playing with Legos, it reaffirmed our ideas of cutting back on the computer, usually he would be playing on it but this morning he was doing other things, like sitting in the sun playing.

4 comments:

Becca said...

You are awesome! I see myself getting swamped with Facebook, email and bloggggggggging and your post reminds me to keep it in check. Asher is so sweet. Thanks for sharing his moment in the sun!

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

Well said sister! As I am typing this I am feeding Kate skittles so she will let me be. Bad mom. You have inspired me to cut back.

The Betitas said...

Thanks for sharing! I just read to day about how much the computer can suck energy out of you and just in general electronics aren't good for our bodies. Definitely not as good as the sunshine. I have also been evaluating my life mainly in terms of food consumption. I am making a huge effort to eat less processed foods and less sugar as well as eating more fruits and veggies. I read the word of wisdom and felt very inspired to make some changes (and I try to be healthy anyway but this is just a bigger effort than I have done in the past). I have also been reading about how cleansing ourselves (in terms of like a colon cleanse) can really help with our energy and it helps get rid of negative emotions too. Making changes has never felt so good!

breedinglilacs said...

Way to go, Sarah. I was with my friends that I grew up with for lunch yesterday. I came away completely depressed that they waste their days with TV, facebook and menial books (they all love Twilight). Here I am trying to preserve every second of my life for reading, writing, hiking meaningful experiences with the kids while they are throwing their precious time away. It made me feel alone and like I needed to be cleansed, so I came home and listened to Bach while reading the Aeneid. There is nothing better for the soul.